English Language and Literature – PhD Programme
The PhD Programme in English Language and Literature at the University of Opole, Poland, offers qualified candidates a unique opportunity to develop their research projects in the field of linguistics (both theoretical and applied) and literary studies. Doctoral students pursue an intensive and individualized course of study with experienced professors who are committed to facilitating the students’ intellectual development and scholarly achievements. Faculty professors of the Institute of English, University of Opole, where the PhD programme is based, are ready to share their expertise in a wide range of linguistic, literary, and cultural fields, such as historical linguistics, corpus linguistics, lexicography, literacy studies, second language acquisition, literary criticism and theory, as well as English, Irish, American or Australian literature.
Tuition FeeEnglish Language and Literature, PhD, 4 years
- The registration fee is 85 PLN.
- Accommodation cost is not included.
- EU citizens and the Pole’s Card holders study free of charge.
The Structure of the Programme
The Most Important Courses
Specialist Lecture Series
Admission Procedures and Requirements:
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- Application form (downloaded from IRK) signed by the candidate
- A valid copy of an MA diploma
A Xerox copy of an ID card/passport to be validated by the admission staff at the University of Opole
- Grade Point Average
- Information concerning foreign language proficiency
Information concerning academic achievements (membership in scholarly associations; participation in academic conferences, copies of academic publications)
- Current curriculum vitae
- Research project (1000 words)
One photograph 35x45 mm (electronic version should be uploaded to IRK during the registration process)
- Letter of recommendation from their academic advisor
- Copy of their MA thesis
Statement of purpose that discusses the reasons why they want to undertake postgraduate studies, and their academic interests
Admission dates and deadlinesAll application and supplemental materials should be delivered in person or by mail in the period from September 1 to September 15 2017 to:Dziekanat Wydziału Filologicznego (room 7) Pl. Kopernika 1145-040 Opole, PolandElectronic versions may be sent to
Interviews with candidates will take place on September 21, 2017
Admission decisions will be announced by September 30 2017 at
– candidates’ individual IRK accounts
– webpage https://wyniki.uni.opole.pl
Applicants must have a Master’s degree in English philology or another academic discipline in the field of language and literature studies.
Applicants who do not have a Master’s degree in English philology must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting official test scores equivalent to Cambridge Proficiency Exam (C2 level). For the list of valid certificates see Dziennik Ustaw September 26, 2016. Poz. 1586.
- 10 points – Grade Point Average
- 20 points – academic achievements
Peer-reviewed academic publications – 3 points for article
Presentations at academic conferences – 2 points for presentation
Active membership in scholarly associations – 1 point
- 35 points – research project (elements to be evaluated: problem statement, methodology, relevant literature, appropriate language)
- 35 points – interview with the Admission Committee (elements to be evaluated: candidate’s knowledge, scholarly potential of proposed research project, ability to conduct an academic discussion in English).
Doctoral students admitted to the programme are eligible to apply for various types of scholarships funded by, among others,:
- the Rector of the University of Opole
- the Mayor of Opole
- the Ministry of Science and Higher Education.
Scholarships are granted on the basis of students’ academic performance and community service.
Erasmus+ Study Mobility
Erasmus+ Training Mobility
For further information please contact the programme coordinator:
Please direct any inquiries connected with registration to the Office for International Study Programmes: firstname.lastname@example.org