What to do before arriving to the University of Opole

Before coming to the University of Opole

In order to be accepted as an ERASMUS+ exchange student, you must be a student of a partner university which has signed a ERASMUS+ Bilateral Agreement with Opole University.

Once you have undergone the recruitment at your home istitution successfully, please make sure your Institutional Coordinator sends us your nomination. You will also be asked to send us the documents listed below:

  1.    Application Form for incoming students, which must be signed by ERASMUS+Coordinator from your Home Institution -please fill it with the use of computer – handwritten applications will not be accepted
  2.    Learning Agreement,which must be accepted by your Home University
  3.   Application Form for Accommodation (for those willing to stay in OU dormitories)

Please, make sure that the documents are complete, and that you have included your actual date of arrival, a valid e-mail address, and that all the documents are signed and sealed.

Then the complete application should be send via registered letter to the address of OU Institutional Erasmus Coordinator:

University of Opole
Institutional Erasmus Coordinator
Pl. Kopernika 11a
45-040 Opole

The deadlines for applications are as follows:

  • 15 June – for the winter semester of the following academic year
  • 15 December – for the spring semester of the following academic year

Should you have any difficulties with meeting these deadlines, please contact us via e-mail erasmus@uni.opole.pl, as soon as possible.

Acceptance of your application

After your application is received the Departmental Coordinator at OU will check, whether your Learning Agreement is complete, and if the subjects of your choice will be available. Once this has been accepted, the paper is sent back back to the International Office, the Institutional Erasmus Coordinator prepares your Acceptance Letter, and sends it back along with the signed Learning Agreement to the address of your International Office.


Find yourself a place to live!

You might want to find a flat in advance, but the easiest way is to apply for accommodation at one of our dormitories. You have to fill in the Application for Accommodation form and send it to the Erasmus office together with the rest of the documents.

Make sure you have insurance!

If you are an EU/EEA citizen you need to apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which – in case of illness or accident – you need to show to your doctor along with an ID card, passport, etc. This will provide you with free healthcare in this country.

If you come from a country that is not a member of EU/EEA, you need to purchase health insurance before departure. Once in Poland, faced with a health problem, your insurance company will schedule a consultation at the medical centre they have signed an agreement with. Or, you will have to pay for being examined, but the costs will be reimbursed by your health insurance company afterwards.


Complete the official paperwork!

Members of the UE/EEA have it a bit easier at start. You just need a valid passport or ID card to enter and reside in Poland for up to three months. If you need to stay longer, you need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit at the Regional Office in Opole. Don’t worry; we will help you with that.

Non-EU/EEA citizens have a bit more paperwork to do before they arrive to Poland. Why? Because you will probably need a visa (it depends on your country, so you have to check beforehand). Short-term visa allow staying in Poland for up to three months, long-term visas – up to a year.  Make sure you apply for a right one. Students who have received their visas do not need to apply for temporary residence as described above.