Recognition of documents for BA or long-cycle (MA) programmes:
Certificates and other documents confirming education in foreign educational systems may be recognised in Poland by:
1. Operation of law, i.e. without the need for an opinion or certification by Polish institutions or offices:
- documents obtained in the educational systems of the countries of the European Union, the European Free Trade Association – European Economic Area and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, USA, United Kingdom;
- IB (International Baccalaureate) diplomas, issued by the International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva;
- EB (European Baccalaureate) diplomas awarded by the European Schools in accordance with the Convention defining the Statute of the European Schools, drawn up in Luxembourg, on 21 June 1994 (Dz. U. z 2005 r. Nr 3, poz. 10) [Polish Journal of Laws of 2005, No. 3, item 10].
2. The education superintendent, as a result of administrative proceedings:
If a given certificate or other document provides the right to apply for admission to specific higher education courses in the country of its issue, that certificate or document shall confirm
in the Republic of Poland the right to apply for admission to the same or similar fields of study in terms of curriculum or may be recognised as a document confirming in the Republic of Poland the right to apply for admission to the same or similar, in terms of the curriculum, fields of study in higher education.
In regard with Opole, the competent authority for processing the applications is: Education Superintendent of Opolskie Province (Education Superintendent’s Office in Opole, Piastowska St. 14, 45-081 Opole).
Detailed information regarding the procedure and the application form can be found on the Superintendent’s website.
Together with the application, you will be required to submit:
- legalised/ apostilled original (duplicate) of a certificate/document obtained abroad – for inspection;
- a list of marks obtained in the examination for graduation or completion of a given stage of education/ a list of subjects and classes completed within the given stage of education, together with the marks obtained;
- information about the completed study curriculum; teaching content, planned study time, marking scale;
- information about the applicant’s right to continue education at the appropriate level in the country in whose system the certificate was issued, including the right to apply for admission to higher education in the country of issue (an eligibility letter);
- translation into Polish of the certificate after its legalisation/apostille affixing and of other documents issued in a foreign language;
- in case the applicant is not the person in whose name the certificate is issued, authorisation from the holder of the certificate;
- document confirming the right of residence on the territory of the Republic of Poland (i.e. passport with a valid visa or a residence permit);
- photocopies of documents.
Before you start the procedure, please read the Information sheet and fill in the Application form.
Recognition of documents for second-cycle (MA) programmes:
Your BA degree gives access to second cycle programmes if it fulfills at least one of the below listed criteria:
- gives access to second cycle programmes in the country where it was obtained;
- confirms completion of a joint programme provided by foreign higher education institutions and gives access to second cycle programmes in at least one of the country in the education of which it was provided;
- is recognised on the basis of an international agreement.
If your diploma fulfills at least one of the above listed criteria, your diploma is recognized automatically (applies only for candidates for second cycle studies). For more information, check NAWA web-site.