The list of the required documents for the academic year 2024-2025

Application forms (printouts) from the Online Registration System (IRK)
  • An application form;
  • A statement on the delivery of letters in electronic form;
  • Optional – a declaration of parents/legal guardians in respect of minors undertaking studies at the University of Opole (to be signed if a candidate is underage while applying for studies);

These documents have to be printed out from candidate’s account in the IRK system and signed. Scans of signed printouts have to be attached in Enrollment applications section – ‘Enclosure of the scanned documents’.

Secondary school leaving certificate or matura exam (candidates for BA programmes) / Original BA or MA diploma (candidates for MA programmes) and supplement with grades

In case of application to first (BA) or long-cycle (MA) studies – the original of secondary school (maturity) certificate or another document (with a full list of final grades), entitling to undertake university-level study in country in which the certificate / document was issued.

In case of application to second-cycle (MA) studies – the higher education diploma (MA, BA, engineer diploma or equivalent) with a full list of grades obtained during the course of study, entitling to continue university-level study in country in which the diploma was issued.

In exceptional cases, a provisional certificate can be accepted, however such situations are carefully evaluated.

Eligibility letter (only in case of applications for BA and long-cycle (MA) programmes)

Candidates for undergraduate programmes should submit an eligibility letter, issued by the appropriate authority in a particular country (e.g. Ministry of Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in some particular cases schools).

The eligibility letter should confirm the candidate’s right to pursue higher education in their country of origin. The document should consist of the following information: the candidate’s full name and surname, the candidate’s passport number, date of birth, the number/series of the secondary school leaving certificate, the country where the document was issued and its purpose (i.e. the applicant’s right to apply for admission to higher education in the country of issue).

The document is obligatory for the process of recognition of education obtained abroad, conducted in Poland by Education Superintendent, however the admission committee might also require the document in the case there are doubts regarding the candidate’s right to enroll into university.

The above-mentioned procedure is not implemented in case of documents issued in :

Australia, Austria, Belarus (until 3.11.2023), Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, United Kingdom.

In addition to the above-mentioned countries, the following documents are recognised by law:

  • IB (International Baccalaureate) diplomas, issued by the International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva;
  • EB (European Baccalaureate) diplomas awarded by the European Schools in accordance with the Convention defining the Statute of the European Schools, drawn up in Luxembourg, on 21 June 1994 (Dz. U. z 2005 r. Nr 3, poz. 10) [Polish Journal of Laws of 2005, No. 3, item 10].

Should candidates have problems with the eligibility letter contents, they can use our provisional template available below. Please note that the final document should be adjusted to the issuing institution’s standards (for instance letter head, signatures, etc.). If the issuing institutions need to add additional information beside the required minimum to the document, it can be done accordingly.


Legalization (or apostille) and recognition of documents, issued outside of Poland

You must have your high school certificate/diploma legalised (authorised) and recognised in Poland.

Legalization / Apostille is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a public document is genuine.


If a country in which a given document was issued is a party to the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, concluded in The Hague, 5 October 1961, the document’s legalisation is replaced by an Apostille certificate attached to it. The list of countries – parties to the Convention and the institutions authorised to issue the Apostille is available here.

Legalization is need to be made in the case of documents issued in states that are not parties to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961.

The legalization is done by the consul of the Republic of Poland having jurisdiction with respect to the state in the territory of which, or in the education system of which the given certificate was issued.

Non-legalized documents will not be accepted.

Certified translation into English or Polish of all documents issued in a language other than English / Polish

Original cerified translations into Polish language (or English language if a candidate undertakes studies provided in English) of all the documents listed issued in a language other than English / Polish.

Please note! If you school certificate needs to be recognized by province education superintendents, it should be translated to Polish!

A digital photo in the IRK system

If a candidate is issued a new passport during the admission process, they should immediately inform the recruitment committee and update the necessary information in the IRK system.

English / Polish language proficiency certificate (if required)

List of documents certifying the knowledge of English (for English language study programs) is available here.

List of documents certifying the knowledge of Polish (for study programs conducted in Polish) is available here. 

If the candidate does not have an English/Polish language certificate or diploma, an oral online exam is scheduled. For up-to-date information about the exams schedule, please visit the page about our language requirements.

+ optional, if required

The document confirming the candidate’s right to study without tuition fee payment

Tuition fee for full-time studies conducted in Polish language is not charged in case of:

  • holders of the valid Pole’s Card
  • holders of the formal decision on Polish origin
  • citizens of the European Union (EU) or European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries and members of their families, if residing in the territory of Poland
  • foreigners who have been granted a permanent residence permit (settlement permit) or long-term residence permit of the EU
  • foreigners who in the territory of Poland have been granted a temporary residence permit (residence permit for a fixed period) pursuant to some special circumstances, referred to in Articles: 159 section 1, or Article 186 section 1 subsections 3 or 4 of the Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners
  • foreigners who hold refugee status granted by the Republic of Poland
  • foreigners who have been granted temporary / subsidiary protection in the territory of Poland
  • holders of the Polish language C1 level certificate issued by the State Commission for the Certification of Proficiency in Polish as a Foreign Language
  • spouses, children and parents of the Polish citizen, if they reside in the territory of Poland
  • foreigners who in the territory of Poland have been granted a temporary residence permit (residence permit for a fixed period) pursuant to circumstances, referred to in Articles: 151 section 1 (for purpose of scientific research), or Article 151b section 1 (for long-term mobility of scientist) of the Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners or stay in territory of the Republic of Poland in accordance to short-term mobility of scientist on terms specified in Article 156b section 1 of the Act on Foreigners of 12 December 2013 or hold national visa issued for the purpose of scientific research or development work

Please note: Foreigner can be exempted from tuition fee payment on the basis of the decision of the minister or the director of Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange on granting a scholarship. For more information about scholarship programmes, please visit NAWA web-page.

Disability certificate

The disability certificate should be translated into Polish by a sworn translator.

More information on the website of the Office for People with Disabilities here.


● All the documents (paper versions) have to be submitted to the Admission Office until September 10, 2024 (including delivery by post).

● Decision on admission issued on the basis of the document scans attached in the system is considered to be CONDITIONAL, and will be revoked should any of the required documents is missing before the Admission Deadline.